Joined Arthurian Challenge


Becky is hosting this challenge and set it from April 2009 to March 2010. I've put myself in the category of one to three books as I prefer not to push it too hard at the beginning - I am not even set on the challenges I am going to participate in!
I decided that I would not re-read something, as for me the point of challenges is getting to know new books. Re-reading is okay for me only in challenges concerning authors' whole works (oh, need to think about that, maybe Oscar Wilde or Austen?) or series challenges (maybe a Harry Potter month?).
Hence I am not going to read any Marion Zimmer Bradley but on the contrary, I am looking for suggestions!

Here a few I am thinking about:

1. Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table
Indeed, why not simply start with the essential work that I have not read yet?

2. Mary Stewart, The Crystal Cave (Merlin Trilogy Book 1)
#2 of the "Best Arthurian Fiction" list on Goodreads, suggested in the Arthurian Challenge itself.

3. T.H. White, The Once and Future King
#3 of the "Best Arthurian Fiction" list on Goodreads, suggested in the Arthurian Challenge itself.

Some other maybes:
Bernard Cornwell, The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur
Nancy Springer, I Am Mordred: A Tale from Camelot

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Constantly changing places is inherent to my life. Books have always been steady friends which I could bump into wherever I was all over the world.
Stumbling upon Kaminer's German stories of "Die Reise nach Trulala" in Reykjavík's city library is as moving as meeting the Icelandic sagas in Boston's Borders.
To see a book again, that I've read thousands of kilometers away makes me smile "Hey I know you.." and shake hands by thumbing through it for a while.