Southern Reading Challenge 2009

I'm joining a new challenge: Maggie's Southern Reading Challenge (15th May - 15th August)!
I have already read several Southern novels as one can see on my Goodreads shelf and enjoy it immensely. It even starts to be one of my favourite settings in novels, especially when the story evolves around the Civil War period.
As I have to read 3 fiction or non-fiction books in this period, I will choose some of those I already own and have to read anyway.

1. William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury [Review to come]
I wanted to start it rightaway, but now I'll wait until the 15th.

2. Robert Tallant, The Voodoo Queen [Review]
It's been on my shelf for some time now and I have finally finished the more general account Voodoo in New Orleans by the same author.

3. Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
It's becoming more and more a classic read when I see how many people around me highly recommend it. And because of its popularity, it is more likely to be available in a bookshop in Moscow, where I'll be this summer (*think practical*)


***Update June 26th 2009***

3. Kate Chopin, The Awakening
I just bought it so I will read it for this challenge - The Secret Life of Bees will stay on my TBR-list for a little longer until I find a way to borrow it somewhere.

1 comments:

Lana May 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

I loved the Secret Life of Bees!

Happy Reading!

Post a Comment

Constantly changing places is inherent to my life. Books have always been steady friends which I could bump into wherever I was all over the world.
Stumbling upon Kaminer's German stories of "Die Reise nach Trulala" in Reykjavík's city library is as moving as meeting the Icelandic sagas in Boston's Borders.
To see a book again, that I've read thousands of kilometers away makes me smile "Hey I know you.." and shake hands by thumbing through it for a while.